The 2011-2012 season kicks off for Cal State Northridge basketball in Los Angeles on November 11 against USC. From game one, the Matadors will attempt to prove that they can perform as well as last season's team. They must offset a loss of 56% of last season's player minutes with the contributions of seven incoming freshmen.
The biggest gap for Cal State Northridge to fill will be on the offensive side, as the team lost 67.3% of their scoring. That's followed closely by rebounding, where they lost another massive 66.4% of last season's numbers.
Last season, Cal State Northridge finished with a final overall record of 13-16 and placed 3rd in the Big West with a conference record of 9-7. In postseason play, the Matadors lost to UC-Santa Barbara 83-63 in the Big West tournament.
Cal State Northridge lost many of last year's seniors including Lenny Daniel (28 minutes per game), Rashaun McLemore (24 MPG), Dathan Lyles (22 MPG), and Raymond Cody (19 MPG). The Matadors must also do without Bryce Smith (4 MPG), who left the team.
Coming back to the Matadors are senior Vinnie McGhee (6.7 points/game), sophomore Josh Greene (6.5 points/game), sophomore Aqeel Quinn (1.6 assists/game), sophomore Frankie Eteuati (1.8 points/game), and sophomore Thomas Jacobs (1.6 points/game).
Incoming freshmen joining the Matadors include 6-4 Lonnie Watson, 6-5 Stephen Hicks, 6-2 Justin Yeargin, 6-5 Stephen Maxwell, 6-2 Davon Potts, and 5-9 Allan Guei. Also joining the team is 6-9 senior Ari Feldman. The first Big West game for Cal State Northridge will be on December 29th against UC-Irvine.
Tags: Lenny Daniel
- Since 2001, Cal State Northridge has an overall winning percentage of 48.0%. The Matadors have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 48.7%.
- The Matadors have an average conference finish of 3.6 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 15 the team has an average finish of 4.2.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 209.4.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Washington (#32).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Cal State Bakersfield (#314).
- The last time Cal State Northridge returned less than 38% of the team's statistical production was 2001-2002.
, Rashaun McLemore
, Dathan Lyles
, Raymond Cody
, Michael Lizarraga
, Bryce Smith
, Vinnie McGhee
, Josh Greene
, Aqeel Quinn
, Frankie Eteuati
, Thomas Jacobs
, Lonnie Watson
, Stephan Hicks
, Justin Yeargin
, Stephen Maxwell
, Davon Potts
, Allan Guei
, Trevone Williams
, Ari Feldman